IMPORTANT! THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE
Consultation with qualified physicians or other medical experts should be your first step in dealing
with any health issue. Mold Sprayers does not give medical advice.
Symptoms of mold exposure can also be attributed to many other health-related issues and you
should always seek the appropriate expert advice.
The following article is from the North Carolina Dept of Health & Human
Health Effects of Indoor Mold:
Exposure to mold can occur when airborne mold cells, mostly spores, are inhaled. We breathe in these cells every day,
indoors and out. Usually these exposures do not present a health risk. But when exposure is great, some individuals,
particularly those with allergies and asthma, can experience illness that could be mild to serious or anywhere in
between. The following is a description of the health problems that can be caused by exposure to mold.
When mold cells are inhaled and land in the respiratory tract, the body’s immune system’s response to those invading
cells can cause allergic illness. The immune system tries to destroy the mold as it would an agent, like a flu virus, that
might cause infection. In a relatively small portion of the population (about 10 percent of people in the U.S.), the immune
system overreacts and causes the allergic response that results in symptoms such as runny nose, scratchy throat and
sneezing. Most of us know this allergic illness as “hay fever” or “allergic rhinitis.”
Asthma is a lung disease in which the airways that carry oxygen to the lungs can partially close, causing breathing
difficulties ranging from mild (such as a dry cough) to life-threatening (inability to breathe). North Carolina is in the midst
of what is being called a world-wide asthma epidemic. A recent survey of North Carolina middle school children revealed
that 10 percent had been diagnosed with asthma and another 17 percent had asthma symptoms that had never been
diagnosed. More than half of asthmatics have respiratory allergies, often to mold. Molds can trigger asthma episodes in
Some mold species can cause respiratory infection when the live mold invades the tissues of the lungs or respiratory
tract. This is not a significant risk for healthy people, but can be dangerous for individuals with severely weakened
Very large doses of certain molds, whether inhaled or ingested, can result in poisoning caused by toxins, called
mycotoxins, in the mold cells.